This article outlines the market that has led to Wattpad’s success.
Appropriate Subject Area(s)
Market research, marketing, target market, entrepreneurship, opportunity identification
Key Questions to Explore:
- What are the key ingredients contributing to Wattpad’s success?
Introduction to lesson and task:
Wattpad is a Canadian based company that has achieved international success based on its business model and its target market.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Ask students if they listen to audio books online.
- Ask students if they have ever written or would like to write a story. What kind of story? What is stopping them?
- Distribute the article for reading.
- In pairs, have students go to the Wattpad website, browse around and write a brief description of the core business concept, the target market and the marketing strategies used.
- Combine pairs and ask students to share what they learned.
- As a class, have them describe the characteristics of the target market for Wattpad’s product/services.
Consolidation of Learning
- Wattpad is expanding initiatives to generate revenue for its platform. Evaluate the current initiatives. Brainstorm other opportunities.
- Students have ideas on how to identify an opportunity.
- Have students explain what the CEO of Times Bridge meant when he said: “It is absolutely our intention to help Wattpad stories travel and become more vivid and take on a life of their own.” How does this align with Wattpad’s goals of generating new revenue for its platform?