This article demonstrates the power of fame and how it can impact a business venture.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Marketing, entrepreneurship, target market
Key Questions to Explore:
- How can fame impact the success of a business?
Introduction to lesson and task:
Using a matrix to help analyze the article will provide students with a tool they can use to analyze other situations/opportunities/articles they come across.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Ask the class what they know about LeBron James.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- In pairs, have students brainstorm the challenges and opportunities faced by LeBron and Uninterrupted.
- invite students to categorize the challenges and opportunities for Uninterrupted using the following categories: Simple and easy, complicated, complex and chaotic. You can define these categories as follows:
- Simple and easy: challenge can be easily resolved or an opportunity can be easy to take advantage of
- Complicated: an expert may be required to resolve the challenge or shape the opportunity with a high degree of predictability
- Complex: the challenge or opportunity have several ways to move forward, but it is unpredictable what the outcome will be
- Chaotic: there is no path because things are changing too rapidly
- Combine groups and have students discuss the impact of LeBron’s fame on the ability of Uninterrupted to solve the challenges and seize the opportunities
- Have students write a one-minute paper on their understanding of what LeBron brings to the venture. Why is this important?
Consolidation of Learning
- Uninterrupted is characterized as a media business. What are the characteristics that make it a media business? Using a T chart, have students compare the characteristics of Uninterrupted to a traditional media business.
- Students understand why fame can lead to business success.
In small groups, have students answer the following questions:
- How will the business be sustained over time?
- Did the Raptors’ championship have an impact on the success of Uninterrupted in Canada?
- Why are audiences attracted to this?