This article sounds the alarm for retailers about the rapidly changing buying patterns of consumers.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Marketing, promotion, entrepreneurship, retail sales
Key Questions to Explore:
- How can bricks and mortar retailers thrive with changing consumer habits?
Animoto: this is a free app that students can download to their smartphone or tablet.
Introduction to lesson and task:
Students will learn to understand changes in consumer buying patterns and brainstorm ideas that can keep bricks and mortar retailers in business.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Ask students to download the Animoto app onto their smartphone or tablet. This app will be used later in the lesson.
- Ask students if they or their families shop online. What kinds of items do they purchase online? From where?
- Using a T chart, brainstorm the advantages and disadvantages of online shopping.
- Create a second T chart and brainstorm advantages and disadvantages of shopping in a retail bricks and mortar store.
- In pairs, have students think about what they see as crossovers, advantages or disadvantages that apply to both, and discuss.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- As a class, discuss why consumer buying patterns are changing.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Using the Animoto app, and working in teams, have students create a short video offering advice to their favourite retailer to keep customers coming to their store.
- Students understand the consumer transitioning to online buying and see opportunities for bricks and mortar stores to engage their customers differently.
- Working in teams of four, have students prepare an annotated list of strategies that can be used to engage customers either online or in store.