This article discusses a method of measuring sustainability within an organization.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Entrepreneurship, business administration, sustainability
Key Questions to Explore:
- What is sustainability?
Sustainability, triple bottom line
Introduction to lesson and task:
Students will explore the concept of sustainability, what it is and what it means to them, their community and the workplace
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Ask the class: what is sustainability? Write down all the key points on the board.
- Use the links above to further develop the conversation on sustainability and what it means.
- Using Chart A, have students read the first part of the article and in small groups complete the chart for further discussion.
- As a class, discuss the implications of falling short of sustainability goals locally and globally.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Have students interview a local business regarding sustainability practices and report back to the class.
- Students understand sustainability and its impact locally and globally.
- Have students write a one-minute paper on things they can do to contribute to community sustainability.