This article details the changes McDonald’s is making to its menu options and the implications for the community.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Entrepreneurship, marketing, target market
Key Questions to Explore:
- What is the impact of a company changing its product mix?
Introduction to lesson and task:
Students will explore the impact of corporate decisions on consumer behaviour.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Review the Product Mix with the class.
- Ask students if they eat at McDonald’s and the reasons why or why not.
- Ask students if they have every participated in a social media activity related to McDonald’s. Ask if they are they aware of the campaign “Our Food, Your Questions”
- Ask students to converse with the person beside them and speculate on why this campaign was so successful for McDonald’s.
- Ask students if they are aware of changes planned with respect to McDonald’s menu. If not, inform then and then discuss.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- The article states that the lack of response by McDonald’s to customers’ protests is a marketing blunder. Discuss why. What are the implications?
- In small groups, have students prepare an advisory for McDonald’s on a recommended path forward.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Have student go the website above and find an update on the results of the lobbying efforts by Food Allergy Canada.
- Students understand how changes in product mix can impact the target market.
- Have students identify other companies that have changed their product mix and discuss what the implications were. (e.g. Coke, Chanel).