This article discusses the introduction of a new product targeting hockey players and how the company is marketing the product.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Marketing, promotion, entrepreneurship
Key Questions to Explore:
- How does an organization determine which strategies to use to market its products or services?
The Globe article
Introduction to lesson and task:
Students will understand why various start-up companies develop and implement their particular marketing and promotion strategies
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Brainstorm as a class how a new product or service gains market attention.
- Sort the ideas into categories.
- In pairs, ask students to assess which strategies or categories of strategies they think would be most effective and why.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- Divide the class into groups A and B. Ask each student in group A to write a brief describing the marketing and promotion strategies used by Bladetech. Ask each student in group B to write a brief describing the marketing and promotion strategies used by BioSteel.
- Pair up an A and B student and have each pair develop a T chart with the similarities and differences between the two companies.
Consolidation of Learning:
In the combined groups, prepare a poster identifying strategies that Bladetech and BioSteel can utilize to help each other grow.
- Students understand why specific marketing and promotion strategies are utilized.
- Have each student prepare a letter offering advice to Bladetech on how they can demonstrate their unique value through marketing and promotion to attract a larger share of the market.