This is a case study of a business expansion.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Key Questions to Explore:
- How can the business canvas model help a small business determine its path to expansion?
Introduction to lesson and task:
This lesson is based on a case study of a Canadian entrepreneur who is expanding his venture. It is an opportunity for students to learn about and apply the Business Canvas model to develop an expansion plan for the entrepreneur.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Introduce students to the Business Canvas model.
- Using a Venn diagram, differentiate the Business Canvas model from a traditional business plan.
- Discuss why and when an entrepreneur would select using the Business Canvas model over the traditional business plan.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- Have students go to https://canvanizer.com/ and in small groups use the template to create a plan for John Neate to support his expansion to Toronto.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Combine groups and have students share their plans and comment on each other’s plans.
- Students are able to use the Business Canvas model to develop a business plan.
- Have students write a brief for John Neate sharing their ideas for a successful expansion to Toronto.