Here are the answers to our May quiz on key news topics, plus some additional background information
1. The US is imposing preliminary duties on what Canadian exports?
Additional notes: Starting May 1 the Americans are imposing duties of up to 24% on softwood lumber imports from Canada because they believe they are unfairly subsidized. The Canadian government is challenging this through NAFTA’s disputes resolution mechanisms.
2. What city held its first ever voluntary surrender day?
Additional notes: A voluntary surrender day was held April 29 in an effort to reduce the number of outstanding arrest warrants. Only 3% of people with outstanding warrants surrendered, a total of 12.
3. What province enacted a Sexual Violence Awareness and Prevention Act?
Additional notes: This new law applies to all public institutions, the Manitoba Institute of Trade and Technology and 57 private post-secondary institutions across the province. The definition of sexual violence includes harassment on social media.
4. What province introduced pharmacare legislation as part of its budget?
Additional; notes: The Ontario government introduced pharmacare for people under age 24. This will provide needed free drugs at an estimated annual cost to the province of $465million. The drugs covered will be the same as those offered to senior citizens.
5. Who is Don Meredith?
Additional notes: Meredith has resigned from the Senate because he allegedly had sexual relations with a teen before she turned 18
6. Who is retiring from official public engagements?
Additional notes: At 96, Queen Elizabeth’s husband has decided to take it easy.
7. Statistics Canada released information about the make-up of Canada’s population. What was the key point?
Additional notes: Demographers have seen this coming for a long time. There are 5,780,900 Canadians over 65 compared to 5,749,400 under age 15. But by international standards Canada’s senior population is relatively small.
8. Which province is home to the largest percentage of seniors?
Additional notes: New Brunswick has the highest proportion of seniors at 19.5%. Alberta has the lowest at 11.9%.
9. Which candidate for the leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada has dropped out of the race?
Additional notes: Mr. O’Leary has put his support behind Maxime Bernier. The leadership convention takes place in late May.
10. Why are US relations with Turkey in jeopardy?
Additional notes: President Trump sees this as necessary to achieve a clear victory over ISIS.
11. Who eliminated Maria Sharapova from the Madrid tennis open after calling her a cheat?
Additional notes: Sharapova was tested and found guilty of doping that led to a 15-month ban from competition. Canada’s Bouchard referred to Sharapova as a cheat for this.
12. President Trump tweeted “This is the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history!” What was he referring to?
Additional notes: The US Justice Department named former FBI chief Robert Mueller to probe possible ties and collusion between Trump’s campaign team and Russia
Click here to view questions.