Here are the answers to our March quiz on key news topics, plus some additional background information.
1. Canada is known for its openness to refugees. What other population group does Canada attract?
Additional notes: Although Canada is an attractive destination for entrepreneurs and students, it is estimated that 8,000 millionaires immigrated to Canada last year because of our sound education, health care and financial systems.
2. Which country test-launched multiple ballistic missiles simultaneously?
Additional notes: North Korea is testing missiles with increasingly longer ranges; they are thought to be capable of carrying nuclear warheads.
3. What initiative will Prime Minister Trudeau and President Trump collaborate on?
Additional notes: This joint initiative is designed to support businesses owned by women as a way to contribute to economic growth.
4. What statistic has signalled that Canada’s economy is gaining momentum?
Additional notes: The trade surplus exceeds the forecast and the value of experts rose 0.5 per cent in January.
5. What company made its debut as a publicly traded company valued at $30 billion?
Additional notes: Snap owns Snapchat, a social media company popular with young adults.
6. What is celebrated on March 8?
7. What commodity plummeted to its lowest price in early March?
Additional notes: Data showed that production cuts from OPEC and other producers have not been enough to reduce US surplus of supply.
8. What company is launching a Pro Hijab for Muslim women athletes?
Additional notes: The product has been in development for a year and will be available for sale next year.
9. What country is calling for a second referendum on independence?
Additional notes: Scotland is seeking independence from Britain to enable Scotland to choose to stay part of the European Union and to define its relationship with Britain.
10. Which Canadian golfer recently qualified for his first entry in the Masters tournament?
Additional notes: He is currently rated no. 51 in the world, which qualifies him for the Masters tournament. He is the third Canadian to qualify after Mackenzie Hughes and Mike Weir.
11. Which country tops the list as the world’s richest economy?
Additional notes: Based on GDP (gross domestic product) the four countries are the wealthiest in the order listed.
12. Which country is the world’s poorest economy based on GDP?
Additional notes: These countries are small and yield little annual production.
Click here to view questions.